24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services • Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (210) 570-7877

Call Today! (210) 570-7877
Call Today! (210) 570-7877
San Antonio LogoLogo
Call Today! (210) 570-7877
Call Today! (210) 570-7877
San Antonio Logo

There Is Mold in My House – Why Did I Suddenly Get Sick?

Published by Allegra on August 31, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

911 Restoration Suddenly Get Sick San AntonioIf there is mold in your home, the side effects go beyond a ruined wall or ceiling. Mold grows in your home, especially in highly humid and damp areas. It is most commonly found on walls, floors, or ceilings. Mold infestation does not only ruin the look and feel of the affected areas, but it also poses some health hazards which are hard to ignore.

Hence, if there is mold in your home and you suddenly start having more frequent headaches or allergies, it may not be a coincidence.

Common Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Mold infestation in your home is likely to cause several health-related issues. Today, we will look at some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure you should look out for.

  • Skin irritation
  • Itchy eyes
  • Headaches
  • Migraines
  • Dizziness
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Tightness in chest
  • Skin allergies
  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Insomnia
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Skin bumps and rashes

Most mold symptoms are mild and can be easily treated at home. However, if the mold infestation continues and becomes more severe, the symptoms will likely intensify and cause serious health problems. Here is a list of the most common health problems caused by prolonged mold exposure:


If there is mold in your home, your body’s natural immune system will try to fight it off by releasing histamines. This causes several allergic reactions like sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose, coughing, fever, nausea, itchy eyes, etc.

If mold is not treated on time, these symptoms are more likely to worsen with increased mold exposure. Moreover, if you have a more dangerous type of mold infestation at home, such as the toxic black mold, you are at greater risk of getting sick and having severe allergic reactions.

Breathing Issues and Asthma

If you start experiencing frequent shortness of breath or tightness in the chest, it could most likely be caused by those moldy spots on the wall. Mold exposure causes several breathing issues, and it is incredibly harmful to asthmatic patients.

Prolonged mold exposure can trigger asthmatic attacks. People with low immunity can also develop other breathing diseases like bronchitis and chest infection when exposed to mold for extended periods.

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) is a lung disease common in people with a sensitive immune system. Mold infestation releases toxins in the air, and this air, when inhaled, may cause lung inflammation and diseases like HP.

If you do not get rid of the mold situation at your home on time, HP is more likely to worsen with time and result in permanent lung damage. People with chronic lung diseases are at a greater risk of fatal pulmonary hemorrhaging. Therefore, it is highly critical to remove mold from your house for all such patients immediately.


Aspergillosis is a unique medical condition caused by a specific type of mold called aspergillus. This disease is more common in immune-compromised people or people with chronic lung diseases.

Aspergillosis can occur in the following different forms:

Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA)

This medical condition refers to the inflammation of the lungs and causes shortness of breath.

Allergic Aspergillus sinusitis

Allergic Aspergillus sinusitis patients are more likely to experience frequent headaches and have a stuffy or runny nose.

Aspergilloma, or fungus ball

In this medical condition, patients will observe severe coughing and breathing issues. If this gets worse, you may also find the presence of blood clots or blood particles in your cough.

Chronic pulmonary aspergillosis

All chronic pulmonary aspergillosis patients experience extreme coughing, shortness of breath, weakness, and fatigue. Some patients also lose a lot of weight in the process.

Digestive Problems

Nausea and dizziness are the common symptoms of mold exposure. This eventually leads to several digestive problems if they are in contact with the toxic air for a long time. Toxic mold can mess with your body’s digestive system and result in diarrhea and vomits, and acid reflux. If the situation gets worse, some people may also experience internal bleeding and find blood clots in their vomit. This can further damage and put the liver at risk too.

Skin Reactions

If your skin comes into direct contact with toxic molds, you can experience several reactions like rashes, eczema, dermatitis, or scalp fungus.

Mental Loss

This is not a common symptom of mold exposure, as it usually happens to adults exposed to a dangerous mold infestation. In addition to this, children can also fall victim to the hazards of mole exposure, and it can affect their learning abilities.

The mycotoxins released by mold can seep into your brain through your nose and damages the neurons in your brain.

Get Mold Removed from Professional Experts

To keep yourself and your loved ones safe and healthy, it is essential to get rid of mold as quickly as possible. Only professional mold removal companies like 911 Restoration of San Antonio can help remove mold effectively and prevent it from growing again.

Call 911 Restoration of San Antonio  for a free inspection and consultation and get rid of mold for life.

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (210) 570-7877
15555 Tradesman #200 San Antonio, TX. 78249
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply